Ask The Undertaker - Part 2, Registration

In a three part blog we’ll be answering some common questions we get asked by families we work with…

Which registrar should I use to register the death?

The hospital or GP will guide you which registrar to use to register the death. It will be the registrar within the local authority where the death occurred, whether that be the home, the care home or the hospital. If you are not sure, you can find out here

Do I have to register the death before arranging the funeral?

You do not have to register the death before arranging the funeral. We recommend that you contact the funeral director and start making the funeral arrangements before registering the death. However it is absolutely necessary to register the death before the funeral can go ahead.

What do I need to register the death?

In order to register the death you will need the medical certificate of cause of death, and proof of identity of the person who has died. These documents are not absolutely essential, but can save time and provide most of the information you will need for registration;

  • NHS card (also called the medical card)

  • Birth certificate

  • Driving licence

  • Council tax bill

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if applicable)

  • National Insurance number

  • Passport

  • Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)

The Registrar will also need the following information:

  • Date and place of death

  • The address of the person who has died

  • The persons full names (including the maiden name if the person was a married woman). You will also have the chance to register any other former names the person may have been known by, this could be important if they have any financial products registered in a previous name.

  • The date and place of birth. If the person was born outside the UK, just the country is sufficient. If they were born in the UK, the town or county should be provided.

  • Their occupation

  • Details of their wife, husband, or civil partner.

  • Whether they had any government pension or other benefits. You will be informed about the ‘Tell Us Once’ service, where the death can be reported to multiple government organisations at once, like the DWP, HMRC, etc.

Recent Posts
Browse By Category
Follow Us
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon